This year the type of giving that resonated with me was the less traditional kind. Not the wrapped beautiful gifts of cool items - although I did partake of that cultural happening.
However, this year giving felt different for me.
For some reason, maybe being a new mom I was extra sensitive this year to any story about loss, challenge or hardship. This whole year, I stumbled across stories of people dealing with great and grave challenges. Unfortunately, tragedies are part of life and happen everywhere in the world. I am always shaken by heartbreaking narratives, but for some reason this year I felt compelled to do more. I had to do something no matter how small to try in some way send a ripple of love in the right direction - bring some positive gesture to those who may feel it.
Instead of sharing gift ideas and talking about my go-to's for this season, I felt more compelled to encourage the type of giving we can do all year long. As I write this, I am also reminding myself not only of the idea of giving from the heart but of the idea of paying forward. Small acts matter and no act of kindness is too small.
Here are some small things that matter:
- Donate to the Ronald McDonald house near you - they offer support to so many families.
- If someone you know sends you a gofundme story, read it. Support if moved to.
- Donate blood.
- Bring food/groceries/meal to friends/families going through hardships or new parenthood life.
- Find an organization that aligns with an interest and become part of their community. Art, music, writing, film, science, dance, etc.
- Write a card to someone who may need a little lift or who may be lonely...or surprise them with a phone call - it is always nice to hear someone's voice.
- Participate in a benefit walk for a cause close to your heart.
The ideas go on because there are so many organization set up to assist. The main idea though is we can all help, we do not need to seek out an organization to do it, there are small things we can do daily. The human presence, compassion and kindness are the greatest gifts of all. Here's to a beautiful season full of small acts of beauty xx
P/S Please feel free to message me other ideas you have to share, I would love to hear from you x