Packing light when traveling
Traveling is an adventure. Like everyone, I look forward to new places, new experiences and new ideas (which is a great travel perk). However, I do not look forward to packing.
Since I insist on only a carry-on (no matter how long the trip) - I have my packing routine down to a science. I created four packing lists. Various versions depending on climate and purpose of trip. I choose the packing list most applicable to my trip and pack from that. Keeping two things in mind: 1. A neutral color palette 2. Everything must be able to go from day to night | work to play.
Even my iPad cover does double duty as my evening clutch. This packing list system streamlines the process for me, along with a few technology helpers. Which brings me to the apps that I use most when I travel, just in case you might find them helpful.
1. EVERNOTE - I put all my reservation confirmations, passport copy, article clippings in my trip's folder in Evernote. It's easily accessible and since I build the folder over time as I am preparing to travel, it's great to know everything is all in one place. This is also where my packing lists reside.
2. TRUPHONE - Since AT&T makes it so difficult to understand my plan. I have resorted to using this app to make calls while away. As long as you have wi-fi and some money in your account you are good to go. The connection is clear and the prices are super reasonable.
3. INSTAGRAM + CAMERA PLUS + SNAPSEED - I love seeing what my friends and family are up to via my IG feed, especially when I'm away and it is so fun. I like to share what I'm up to too with photos. I only share my iPhone pics (no dslr) on IG and 80% I edit either on Snapseed or Camera Plus prior to sharing. Sometimes you have to crop out the nutty tourists that got in your shot or fix the bad lighting in a restaurant.
5. SONIA TRAVELS - This is not an app. It's a youtube channel. Sonia is bright and funny surfer who also is a world traveler. She shares quality content to help her fellow travelers. I learned a few key things from her that made my trip much smoother. Wish I discovered this channel sooner.
6. Rebtel - This app gives you a local number abroad. Very handy.
* Would love to hear any traveling tips or favorite apps you use while traveling.... I am constantly refining my travel system so I spend less time on logistics and more time enjoying.